The Department of Education and Skills submitted an application on 16 May 2014 for EU co-financing under the European Globalisation Adjustment Fund (EGF) to support workers affected by redundancy at Andersen Ireland Ltd.
Andersen Ireland Ltd was a cosmetic jewellery manufacturing plant in Rathkeale, Co. Limerick with a predominantly female 171 strong workforce, which closed in late 2013. Ireland sought and received approval for a programme of labour market supports under the European Globalisation Adjustment Fund (EGF) on the basis of the serious impact the loss of the jobs would have on the employment and the local economy. The 2-year EU co-financed EGF programme ran from May 2014 to May 2016.
In this programme, the Irish authorities availed of a new optional measure available for the 2014-2020 round of EGF funding, which permits those Member States whose youth unemployment rates exceeded 25% to 2012 to assist an equivalent number of young persons as targeted redundant workers within an EGF programme, where the young persons are under 25 years of age and not in employment, education or training (NEETs).
The estimated expenditure under the approved programme was €2.5m, assuming full take-up of all funding, with the EU co-financing 60% (€1.5m) of the expenditure.
Implementation reports on the Andersen Ireland EGF programme can be seen below:
- EGF Andersen_First Implementation report Oct2013-Sep2014
- EGF Andersen_Second Implementation report Oct2013-Jan2015
- EGF Andersen_Third Implementation report Oct2013-Oct2015
- EGF Andersen_Fourth Implementation report Oct2013-Jan2016
An EGF Consultative Forum was set up to assist in the implementation of the EGF programme. Minutes of Forum meetings can be seen below:
- Andersen Ireland EGF Consultative Forum meeting minutes 02 September 2014
- Andersen Ireland EGF Consultative Forum meeting minutes 17 November 2014
- Andersen Ireland EGF Consultative Forum meeting minutes 18 May 2015
- Andersen Ireland EGF Consultative Forum meeting minutes 30 November 2015
A final report on the EGF programme was submitted by the EGF Managing Authority to the European Commission on 16 November 2016. It is accessible at the link below: